The family of a 13-year-old girl who died after “chroming” at a sleepover with friends in Australia wants manufacturers to change the chemicals in aerosol cans to prevent similar tragedies.
Chroming is popular among teenagers who want to get a quick, cheap high by inhaling dangerous chemicals from aerosol cans.
Paul and Andrea Haynes told A Current Affair that they never dreamed their daughter Esra was in any danger when she went to a sleepover with her friends on March 31.
“It was just the regular routine of going to hang out with her mates,” said the mother.
“We always knew where she was and we knew who she was with. It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary,” the father added.
Instead, the girl went into cardiac arrest and suffered brain damage. She was rushed to a hospital and placed on life support, but her family decided to turn off the machines after doctors said she the brain damage was irreparable.
Other children have died from “chroming” inhalation, including a 16-year-old New South Wales boy in 2019. In 2021, a 16-year-old Queensland girl suffered brain damage from the same.
Some grocery stores in Australia have locked up aerosol cans to protect children, but the Haynes want a far more drastic solution to the problem.
“For me, it’s a pistol sitting on the shelf,” said Paul. “We need the manufacturers to step up and really change the formulation or the propellants.”
They also want CPR to be taught in all schools and for those skills to be refreshed every two years.
The family says that social media restrictions should be tightened as well because they believe that their daughter learned about chroming through online platforms.
Here’s the interview with the family:
‘A quick high that proved fatal’: The chroming warning all families need to hear | A Current Affairwww.youtube.com
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!